Forgot the administrator password on Windows Server 2012? How to recover or reset it? If the server is a domain controller, it's a bit tricky but its completely possible to reset your domain administrator password. But if you have a powerful Windows password recovery software, you can reset forgotten local admin password and domain admin password quickly and easily.
WindowsUnlocker utility provides the most efficient and easiest way to help you reset Windows Server 2012 password if you forgot it. This software comes as an ISO image which we have to burn to a CD or USB drive. Just boot from the CD/USB you can reset Windows local administrator and domain administrator passwords on Windows Server 2012 in just a few mouse clicks.
1 Create a Bootable CD/DVD or USB Flash Drive
- Download and save the WindowsUnlocker self-extracting ZIP file to an accessible PC, then decompress the ZIP archive which there should be an ISO image file: pcunlocker.iso inside.
- Insert a blank CD/DVD or USB flash drive into the computer.
- Download and install the ISO2Disc utility, launch the program.
Click the Browse button to locate your ISO image file, then click the Start Burn button to burn the ISO image to your CD/DVD or USB flash drive.
2 Change BIOS Settings
- Turn on your locked computer. When it is powered on, check the boot-screen for setup key (i.e. DELETE key, F8 key, F2 key) to enter BIOS Setup Utility.
Use the arrow keys to select the BOOT tab, then change the Boot Device Priority: Set CD/DVD as the 1st boot device so you can boot off the CD, or set Removable Device if you want to boot from USB flash drive.
- Press F10 to save your changes. Now your computer is able to boot from CD/DVD or USB flash drive.
3 Reset Windows Server 2012 Password
- Insert the newly burned CD/DVD or USB flash drive into your locked computer, then restart the computer.
The computer will load the operating system inside the CD/DVD or USB drive. After one or two minutes, it will launch the WindowsUnlocker program.
You can reset both Windows local account password and domain password easily. After resetting your forgotten Windows Server 2012 password, the program will also unlock/enable the user account in the background if it is locked out or disabled.
Reset Windows Server 2012 Local Password
Simply select the Windows SAM registry hive from the list, the program will display a list of Windows local user accounts. Choose a user account and click Reset Password button. It will remove your forgotten password instantly.
Reset Windows Server 2012 Domain Password
Simply select the Active Directory database file (ntds.dit), the program will list all domain accounts for your Windows Server 2012 domain controller. Select a user account and click the Reset Password button, the password will be changed to Password123.
- Click the Restart button to reboot the computer and remove the CD/DVD or USB drive, you can then log into Windows Server 2012 successfully.
In addition, WindowsUnlocker utility also enables you to reset Windows Server password on Windows Server 2008, 2003 and 2000. Regain access to your server without losing any important files.